Tuesday, November 16, 2010

when 503 Service Unavailable comes up!! (cause from vmware server2)

Ok after last night I've recently finished my vmware server 2 installation.
I came back this evening and found that I couldn't connect to my vmware web console.
And it keeps telling me that 503 service unavailable thing. so I google and found some interesting solution.

Let's start with stopping all of its services.
$/etc/init.d/vmware stop
If it resulted in something like this. (Something just resulted in "Failed")
Stopping VMware services:
Virtual machine monitor failed
Bridged networking on /dev/vmnet0 done
DHCP server on /dev/vmnet1 done
Host-only networking on /dev/vmnet1 done
DHCP server on /dev/vmnet8 done
NAT service on /dev/vmnet8 done
Host-only networking on /dev/vmnet8 done
Virtual ethernet failed
or when you try to start your vmware and you resulted in
$sudo /etc/init.d/vmware start
vmware is installed, but it has not been (correctly) configured
for this system. To (re-)configure it, invoke the following command:
/usr/bin/vmware-config.pl.
It's telling you to run vmware-config.pl again. So I try to do as it said. It resulted in this.
The following VMware kernel modules have been found on your system that were
not installed by the VMware Installer.  Please remove them then run this
installer again.

vmmon
vmci
vmnet

I.e. - 'rm /lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/misc/<ModuleName>.{o,ko}'

Execution aborted.
Then you need to remove the 3 mods that it mentioned with rmmod.
For me "rmmod" doesn't work. So I use hard remove (just delete it where they are.)
How to find it? easy!
$locate [THINGS YOU WANT TO FIND]
mine is in the /lib/modules/2.6.32-24-server/misc/
So I removed all of them
$rm /lib/modules/2.6.32-24-server/misc/*
There you go! now you can stop vmware services and reconfigure your vmware-config.pl
$/etc/init.d/vmware stop
$/usr/bin/vmware-config.pl
 Credits : Ubuntu forum 

No comments:

Post a Comment